Jacobs Douwe Egberts/KraftHeinz

Slave labor in your cup

by JulieCraves on March 7, 2016

The British newspaper The Guardian published an article this week, “Nestlé admits slave labour risk on Brazil coffee plantations.”The subtitle sums it up: “Nestlé and Jacobs Douwe Egberts say beans […]

Revised on October 6, 2021

Merger of two mega coffee companies could mean a huge percentage of the world’s coffee will be controlled by only two companies.

Revised on January 15, 2022

Sara Lee and Kraft both announce increases in purchase of certified coffees: what does this mean? Sara Lee Sara Lee (Senseo, Java Coast, Douwe Egberts, etc.) recently announced a five-year […]

Revised on November 14, 2019

In a well-investigated and detailed report (pdf) released yesterday, the World Wildlife Fund (WWF) revealed that robusta coffee is being illegally grown in southern Sumatra, with most being purchased by large coffee producers such as Kraft and NestlÁ©.

Revised on April 23, 2021

Yuban ad campaign

by JulieCraves on October 12, 2006

Yuban coffee may carry the Rainforest Alliance seal, but only 30% of its beans are certified. Do you know where the other 70% come from? Or what kind of company you are supporting when you purchase this coffee?

Revised on July 19, 2022