News from all over the coffee world.
- A bacterial gene discovered in the coffee borer beetle (“broca”) helps it digest coffee.
- Blind cupping indicates that poor quality is the real culprit in Kona coffee brand decline, not low percentage blends.
- Hard times for Jamaican coffee, too: Japanese bailing, broca is moving in, higher costs.
- New website provides lots of resources on how to reforest tropical areas with native species. Search by country, region, ecosystem, type of resources, or restoration type.
- Bolivian farmers chose coffee over coca — with support from USAID and so long as coffee prices remain high.